Monday, June 27, 2005

A Cry For Help

You know, sometimes I wonder if anyone is actually reading any of this stuff I am putting out. I wander around my day-to-day existence and try to find new and exciting business related crap to write about. I tell myself I will impress my reader(s) to the point that they will actually comment on one of my posts.

But then I realize that while I would enjoy bettering someone's business with my insights and commentary, it isn't necessary. Instead, I realized, that the blog in it's own right is a form of journal/diary writing with a twist of exhibisionism. We all want to be noticed. Usually we aren't but we are all crying out for someone to "look at me". See I am special because of this thought or that deed.

This all hit me this past week. I had a great meeting with the Waynesboro City Planner and his staff about my new real estate project Dewitt Crossing. After the meeting, I went across the street to a Chinese Restuarant to get a buffet to go. I paid the nice girl and carried my little styrofoam box to the buffet line. There I was met my this lady who was clearly choking.

She jumped up and down and pointed at her throat. I asked the obvious: Are you choking? The nodd was yes. So I set my little box down and turned her around and perfomed the Himleck manuever. She then spit out a chunk of meat. I helped her sit down, asked her if she was okay, then went back to the buffet line.

Now, in the normal superhero fantasy, the hero gets pats on the back and a standing ovation from all the other people in the restaurant. The next day the newspaper carries a front page story about how local guy saves lady's life.

Of course none of that happened.

In reality, I didn't help her for the admiration of my fellow citizens. The fact that no one noticed or acknowledged my efforts doesn't take away from the deed.

My little moral to the story is that you do things that are right so you can sleep at night. Trying to go through life looking for acknowledgment is a losing proposition. Do what you think is right and you will be fine. Leave the fame to someone else.

This is the same for the blog. I don't write this blog in order to get some sort of recognition. There will be some good that comes from this. Of that I am sure. But it is likely that I will never know where it helped, and that is okay. I write for my own sense of self and not as a cry for help.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I read the Blog, so someone sees it.

Anyhow, I don't know if anyone blogs to find glory or recognition, asomuch as connect to others with whom they might relate.

Sort of a "this is my life, this is how I see the world through my eyes, does anyone feel as I feel?" thing.

I tend not to think of it as any more or less than that.
If soemthing I write really benefits someone, all the better, that one of my experiences should help someone else.

Sunny said...

I read the posting too. I also own a real estate business. At present it only acts as a real estate agency, but I want to do my own projects, i.e. residential developments. I can identify with your views in that I too blog for the act of writing only. I have no doubt that my posting might never be read, let alone be commented on. Another point that I want to make is that running your own business is hard stuff. I too have had two previous businesses fail, but I think that the real estate business will work out for me.

thesis writing said...

this kind of blog always useful for blog readers, it helps people during research. your post is one of the same for blog readers.