Monday, March 07, 2011

The Finest Man I Ever Knew

On Saturday, we buried my Father-in-Law, James R. Jewett. He was just shy of 80 years old. He was a farmer all his life. He has a 400-acre farm in Madison County, Virginia where he grew corn, soybeans, and barley. For decades he also had dairy cows.

Saturday was both a difficult day and a wonderful day. I had known him for 22 years and considered him a friend and mentor. When he would visit, he and I would ride around in my truck and look at various projects I had going on. He was always supportive.

After all the guests had left and just the family remained, I marveled at the bonds and quality of the family he left behind. We were happy to report that of all his kids and grandchildren, there was not a single black sheep. In fact, they are all excellent people. I am honored to be a part of the family.

The most poignant moment was during the service when the Reverend stated that Jim Jewett was "the finest man I ever knew". Not many people can honestly have that said about them. He was in fact the finest man any of us ever knew.

The very best part of the whole thing is that he was buried on his farm that he loved. To make matters even better, it looks as if his son and grandson will continue to farm the land and keep it whole.

I will miss Jim Jewett terribly. He was the finest man I ever knew.

No comments: