Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Old Friends and How Much We Change

I just got off the phone with an old friend, Pete, whom I had not spoken with in a very long time. Pete and I worked together in the mid-Nineties at Framatome selling computers in the lead up to Y2K and the internet boom. At the time, I was still in my 20's and a little bit of a hard-ass. Pete always seemed wiser and calmer.

As a result of my more "offensive and aggressive" personality traits, I moved out of the corporate world. At the same time, Pete flourished in it. Like water, we each seemed to find our own level.

The interesting thing about our talk is just how much I had changed. Pete still seems calm and wise. When I was in my 20's, I had just come off of 6 years in the Marines. That tends to have an impact on one's attitude. However, even the Marines thought I lacked tact. Although, my definition of tact and their's was very different. I thought I was being honest. Whereas, all my military superiors thought I was a wise-ass.

Over the past 14 years, since Pete and I worked together, I realize that I have calmed down a good bit. Politically, I have changed drastically. I read more now than ever. I don't blow my top like I used to.

To find a point in my latest ramble is difficult. I guess we all grow up at different rates. While I am sure I still have a good bit of growing up left to do, I don't think I am as bad as I used to be.

Oh, the other point is it's great to talk to old friends. They are like book marks that show you where you were and how far you have come.

No comments: