Monday, March 14, 2005

Rare Rantings

I am in the middle of several projects today which are all moving in the right direction. This is a big switch. Normally, I would get one thing going forward but something else would slip backward.

The new industrial building is under roof. This may seem like a simple task, but it has taken my builder 9 months to get to this point. If I can offer any words of wisdom it would be this: Always put a completion date with penalties for going over.

My new real estate project is moving along nicely. I am buying a tract of land which is very reasonably priced with the intention of rezoning it and developing a high-end office park. Everything looks good and I should have some parts of the land pre-sold before I even buy the property. In addition, I have added an option to buy an additional tract across the street.

Back at RentQuick, my google tests are working well. There is nothing worse than offering what you think is a great price/product then getting absolutely no response from the market. Luckily, this is not the case on this test. We have seen a better response on this test than any others to date. The secret is go rediculously low with a great product. Everyone will rush to it. Then slowly raise it up until the response slows.

Tents and Events has recieved the new truck. This baby is 20' long and sports a lift gate. (Soooo sexy!). Now all I need to do is get the graphics done for it. I can't think of a better advertising medium than a big, new truck. If you ever buy a new truck, put lots of money in the graphics. It pays off big time.

As with all my businesses, the big thing I am looking for is a predictable return on investment. Google gives you a great place to test market messages and wording, but ultimately, you will only succeed if you offer a compelling and worthwhile product or service at a competitive rate. No kidding!

No comments: