During the past year, I have been attempting to get better exposure through the web. As you can imagine, this is a pretty open field where there are plenty of snake oil salesmen out there for a quick buck.
However, here is what I have found:
1. Google Ad Words is the only pay-per-click program that works for me. All the others, while sometimes cheaper, just don't have the breadth of users.
2. Back-links are difficult to build, but are extremely important in getting organic searches.
3. Ultimately, you must provide good information on your site in order to generate traffic. Crappy info or search engine tricks just don't hold water.
4. All the web traffic in the world won't help if you have a lousy offering. Your service and product must be top shelf.
5. Simple is still king. Making your site heavy with loads of graphics, flashing ads, and blinking text does absolutely nothing.
6. Finally, put a sitemap on your site. This is the best way to get the server crawlers to find their way around your site. Google offers a sitemap generator.
7. If you are really serious about web marketing, check out MarketingSherpa. They have plenty of great articles based not on opinion but instead on actual studies.