Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Letting Go of Good Employees

There was a time when I would lose my temper when a good employee would quit to take another job. I would get angry, hurt and bitter as I took the change personally. I am here to say that I was wrong.

Over the past year I have lost two very good employees from RentQuick. The first was Jeff Fife. Jeff had been a very successful salesperson for me. He was loved by the customers and a very capable leader. He quit to be the Executive Director of the Waynesboro YMCA, a job he had longed for all his life. Jeff felt the draw to work with young people and it made sense for him to pursue his dream.

Although losing Jeff was a blow, the pain was immediately fixed by the introduction of Rick Burns. Rick is a rare find in that he knows the technology and is very good with the customers. He is experienced, intelligent and well-read. That adds up to another great employee.

Recently, (like yesterday), Steve LeRose has told me he is going to leave. In the past, I would try to talk him out of it, but now I am happy for him. Steve wants to go out on his own and purchase a franchise. I fully understand his thought process.

I am not worried about replacing Steve. As they say, when one door closes another opens.

No comments: